PAOO uses the body's natural healing phase to optimize orthodontic results
Unlike traditional orthodontics, which only involves the mechanical movement of the teeth, PAOO incorporates surgery to augment the bone and gums around the teeth in a way that enables rapid tooth movement while also increasing bone support, thickening the gums, and stabilizing the teeth after orthodontics.
During surgery, Dr. Bingham strategically cuts the bone surrounding your teeth, which sends a message to the body to go into a healing phase known as regional acceleratory phenomenon (RAP). While in this transient healing phase, the mineral content of the bone is temporarily decreased, the bone softens and a window of opportunity opens up in which rapid orthodontic tooth movement is possible. Orthodontic adjustments can now occur more frequently, which greatly reduces treatment time.
PAOO combines periodontal surgery, orthodontics and the body’s natural healing process to make rapid orthodontics possible.
Regional Acceleratory Phenomenon (RAP)
Micro-osteoperforations on cortical bone increase bone remodeling and tooth movement rate by stimulating release of inflammatory cytokines.
Benefits of PAOO
- Less painful tooth movement
- Reduced risk of gum recession
- Improved periodontal support, which includes both the gum and bone support for the teeth
- Improved long-term stability
- Reduced risk of tooth root resorption
- Faster tooth movement, typically in less than half the time
PAOO Treatment Sequence
- Consult with your orthodontist
- Consult with Dr. Bingham
- Dr. Bingham discusses your individual treatment needs with your orthodontist
- If you have not already done so, begin your orthodontic treatment prior to surgery
- Bone and gum augmentation are included in the surgery
- Week 1: Evaluation with your orthodontist
- Week 2: Evaluation with Dr. Bingham
- Every 3 to 5 days for Invisalign®
- Every 2 weeks for traditional brackets
Experienced, Compassionate Interdisciplinary Periodontist
As a board-certified periodontist, Dr. Bingham has extensive surgical experience. He will customize treatment to your individual needs and work with your orthodontist to ensure you get the best interdisciplinary care possible.
Contact us today for more information about PAOO and how it can improve the outcome of your orthodontic treatment.
Call 512-453-1600 for more information.